Which Is The Best Website Builder For Artists In 2022?
Finding the best website builder for artists can be a time-consuming experience. This is especially true if you don’t have much of a technology background.
For artists, nothing is more important than getting your artworks the attention they deserve. After all, you’ve spent so much time and effort to create those masterpieces! So if you’re looking to showcase your art or to sell them, having a website to post artworks on is a must.
Show your stunning works to the whole world with our recommendations of best website builders that can bring you into the limelight. In this article, LitExtension will go through these key points:
- Features that artists should look for in a website builder
- Best website builders for artists who sell arts
- Best website builders for artists who want to display arts
Whether to sell artworks or just to let others view your creations, here are our suggestion for best website builder for artists. Let’s take a look!
What Artists Should Look For In A Website Builder
Before the rise of the Internet, there were less opportunities for small artists to show off their artworks. They could only display or sell arts at physical locations, resulting in a limited group of audience. But with the now available website builders, artists have better chances of increasing their exposure and showing their credibility.
Depending on your profession and special requirements, you may have to take different website builders’ strengths into consideration. But in general, there are a few features you should take notice of when deciding between the best website builders currently available:
- Flexible customizability: a well-designed website that can help you flaunt your artistic skills and create a striking online presence.
- High quality media display: enable viewers to fully appreciate the works you’ve created.
- User-friendliness: artists might not have a lot of time on their hands, so it’s always better to have a website builder that’s straightforward and easy to navigate.
- Sufficient eCommerce features: if you’re selling art, SEO and analytic functionalities should also be considered.
Best Website Builder For Artists To Sell Art
If your main goal of finding the best website builder for artists is to sell your arts, here are our top suggestions of best eCommerce platform for artists:
In the battle of finding the best eCommerce platform for artists, Shopify is undoubtedly one of the heaviest contestants. They excel in sales functionality as there are so many options for necessary eCommerce features. Many users agreed that Shopify has helped them build the best sites to sell art online.
For beginners, you don’t have to worry about not having technical experience. Shopify’s setup process is made extremely simple — all you need to do is fill in necessary information and your store is already up and running!
They also have a large user community to help if you run into any problems while building your website.
What customers say about Shopify:
“LOVE LOVE LOVE Shopify! The only downfall is the price… it’s a bit up there, but honestly worth it. If you’re ready to upgrade your business, Shopify is the next step. Their blog is also amazing and full of educational posts, as well as their forums! Great community, awesome staff.” — Brandon W., Sitejabber
Shopify Pros & Cons
- Great website builder for beginners
- Robust eCommerce features
- Diverse apps and integrations
- Multichannel scaling
- Less customizing options
- High price for small businesses
- High transaction fees
✧ Final verdict: Shopify is the best website builder for artists to sell and grow their business.
With the help of BigCommerce, you can grow your art business fast! BigCommerce is a well-known platform for its robust eCommerce scalability. You can also quickly set up your store and change the design to your liking in real time with their convenient Style Editor.
That said, BigCommerce is more suitable for artists who are already familiar with having an eCommerce store. It’ll be easier to navigate through the store’s dashboard and make necessary customization. If you’re a beginner, we advise following detailed BigCommerce tutorials for your easy understanding.
Moreover, BigCommerce’s pricing plans can be very pricey for emerging businesses, as they are more optimized for larger ones.
BigCommerce customer review:
“BigCommerce is almost perfect, but not quite. The loading speed is great, but the first byte is a problem. The SEO is much better than Shopify, but they haven’t implemented a guiding character count next to the SEO Title and Description. 3rd party apps are helpful, but integrations are sometimes a little choppy. All in all, I am happy with Bigcommerce.” — Alex, Trustpilot
BigCommerce Pros & Cons
- Great scalability
- Diverse apps for multiple purposes
- Multichannel integration
- Time-consuming setup
- Not ideal for non tech-savvy users
- Can be costly for small businesses
✧ Final verdict: BigCommerce is the best website builder for artists with large stores and strong selling power.
eCommerce for artists can be made simple with Wix. For launching a small art store, Wix is undoubtedly one of the most popular choices. They even have art templates and in-house Wix Art Store app, which caters specifically for showcasing and selling your creative works.
Wix can help you create an even better impression with art-loving customers, as they provide you with flexible store design capability using Wix Editor. But if you’re not great with design, no worries! Wix has another design feature called Wix ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence). It’s a smart builder tool that can assist you in creating a beautiful website in just a few minutes, by learning about your store with a series of questions.
When it comes to finding the best website builder for music, Wix is also considered the best website builder for music artists. With Wix Music, music artists can easily upload their tracks and see their music sales performance.
However, regarding eCommerce functions, Wix is a bit behind compared to Shopify or BigCommerce. Although there are still built-in SEO and marketing tools available, Wix still lacks a few crucial functionalities such as abandoned cart recovery. Thus, you’ll need to rely on third party plug-ins to sell more efficiently.
Wix eCommerce Pros & Cons
- Ease of use and setup
- Innovative website builder tools (Wix ADI and Wix Editor / Editor X)
- High design flexibility
- Slower site speed compared to other eCommerce platforms
- No available feature for abandoned cart recovery
- Some selling features rely heavily on third-party or plug-ins
✧ Final verdict: Wix is the best website builder for artists who want unique store design.
Regarding functionality and customizability, Weebly eCommerce may not be the most robust solution. However, simplicity and smoothness is certainly one of their biggest strengths.
Weebly is considered the best website builder for artists who are looking for an economic way to sell artworks. Although you cannot sell using the free plan, Weebly eCommerce starting package is lower in price compared to a few other platforms.
Though the tools are a bit limited, beginners can still enjoy a great eCommerce experience with little starting funds. There are multiple built-in functions to assist you in growing your sales with Weebly.
Customer review of Weebly:
“Weebly is a wonderful website building platform. I have personally used it to create both a website and online portfolio that I use professionally. I was very nervous when I began designing the site, but Weebly could not make it easier to develop the website of your dreams!” Meagan M., Capterra
Weebly eCommerce Pros & Cons
- Simple and inexpensive, suitable for web building beginners
- Drag-and-drop website builder: great for designing the website the way you want
- Great data security
- Limited scalability
- Cannot recover deleted web content
- Few updates over the years
✧ Final verdict: Weebly is the best website builder for artists who are just getting started.
Best Website Builder For Artists To Display Art
Not looking to sell your artworks and just want to have a professional looking website? Then here are our picks for the title of best website builder for artist portfolio:
For building a beautiful art portfolio, there’s no doubt that Squarespace would come to the mind of many artists. The high-quality templates and intricate design functions that this platform offers can definitely cater to your creative needs.
Starting a website with Squarespace is also easier than ever. All you need to do is pick a template, and you can start designing a website of your own. However, to really make your website stand out and become uniquely yours, you’d have to take a bit of time to learn all the functions of Squarespace’s editor tool. But the effort will definitely be worth it — you’ll have yourself an attractive and professional looking website.
Squarespace is perhaps the best website builder for makeup artists. Not only can you create a stunning interface, you can offer subscriptions and digital lessons using the built-in Squarespace function.
All in all, if you’re looking to post your art online and make a lasting impression on your viewer, Squarespace is undoubtedly a top choice.
Squarespace Pros & Cons
- Stunning templates and detailed designing tools
- High quality image display
- Mobile app available for convenient editing
- Editor tool takes longer to learn
- Limited eCommerce scalability, slower website speed
- No autosave while editing your website
✧ Final verdict: Squarespace is the best website builder for artists to create impressive art showcasing websites.
GoDaddy is perhaps the best website builder for artists who don’t have a lot of time on their hands, and wish to have a live website quickly. Their Artificial Intelligence Design as well as the step-by-step web builder will assist you in setting up your site in a blink of an eye.
GoDaddy is also very reasonably priced for artists with a smaller budget. But this also means that you might be more limited in functionality and design flexibility compared to other platforms. If you need a website solely for showcasing your art, then GoDaddy is a fantastic solution.
Interested in starting your online journey with beginner-friendly platforms like GoDaddy? Check out this list of best website builders for small businesses who are just getting started.
Or if you wish not to invest too much money to sell art, here are our suggested Top 10 free eCommerce platforms!
Can’t decide between Squarespace and Godaddy? We did the comparison for you: Squarespace vs GoDaddy — Comparing The Key Differences
GoDaddy Pros & Cons
- Artificial Design Intelligence for instant website setup
- Fast website speed
- Economic pricing plan
- Theme designs are quite simplistic
- Limited features and basic functionalities
- No email support
✧ Final verdict: GoDaddy is the best website builder for artists to quickly get your art website up and running.
Comparing WordPress with other popular platforms:
In case you’re in search of over-the-top customization and flexibility for your website, look no further. WordPress is the best website builder for artists to create a highly personalized and tailored website look. With its robust blogging feature, WordPress is also one of the best website builders for SEO on the market.
You’ll also have access to a huge inventory of plug-ins to integrate with your website. For instance, Elementor is a very user-friendly plug-in for artists to design beautiful WordPress websites.
However, WordPress is surely not the website builder for beginners. It’d take more time for you to set things up and get your website running if you don’t have previous technical knowledge. But once you’ve got the grasp of it, your effort definitely won’t go to waste!
WordPress Pros & Cons
- High customizability
- Extremely diverse plug-ins and themes
- Powerful blogging features
- Require higher technical experience
- Need a hosting provider
- ✧ Final verdict: WordPress is the best website builder for artists who are looking for very tailored online presence.
✧ Why Artists Need An Online Portfolio
Creating an online art portfolio can sound like a lot of work, especially for artists who don’t have a lot of time on your hands. However, it’s a great way to help you grow your reputation, and even earn a better living with the artworks you’ve created.
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why having online presence can be highly beneficial for artists:
- More exposure to potential customers: With how quickly social media is growing, you can reach a much larger audience if you have an online medium for others to view your art. They can react, give comments, and even share your sites if they love your creations. Thus, this will enable your artwork to show up to even more people.
- A way to save your past and present artworks: Seeing how you’ve improved through time can be a great motivator if you post art online regularly.
- Showcase your creations to impress: Having a website of your own can help you present yourself better to the public or recruiters.
- Build your personal branding: Advertise yourself more professionally and let viewers learn more about you as an artist. Post not just artwork but also related content on your website.
- The ability to sell your artwork: With the help of the right website builder, you can turn your creations into a decent living.
✧ How To Create Your Art Portfolio Online
With the help of artist website builder tools currently available, it’s easier than ever to build your own art portfolio online.
- Choose a branded name for your website and domain
- Find the best websites for artists’ portfolios based on your profession: For example, a website builder for music artists has to provide great audio quality.
- Sign up for an account with the website builder
- Pick your desired web template
- Upload the works you’re most proud of
- Fill in other website content so people can know more about you — the artist
- Connect and promote your website on social media channels
Final Thoughts: Best Website Builder For Artists
Nowadays, artists are no longer limited by any boundaries. Not only do they have more creative freedom, they also have the ability to showcase their stunning artworks to thousands of audiences online.
With our recommended best website builder for artists, we hope that all artists can maximize their potential and earn the recognition they deserve. If you love receiving tips and tricks to help your business grow, join our dynamic eCommerce community and discuss with thousands successful store owners!