How to Perform Magento Upgrade to The Latest Version?
With more than 442,000 live websites around the world (according to BuiltWith), Magento has proved itself as one of the most popular eCommerce platforms at present. That’s why Magento regularly updates to ensure the highest level of performance and scalability.
Various store owners, especially those who are not confident with their technical skills, maybe bewildered by complicated instructions to upgrade Magento shown across the Internet. However, the whole process will be a piece of cake thanks to the support of an automated data migration tool.
Within only a few simple steps, everything is ready for your new online store:
- Step 1: Backup your store’s data and create Magento store version 2.4.0.
- Step 2: Enter your store’s information and configure the migration by selecting what you want to migrate.
- Step 3: Launch your migration, wait until it finishes, and test results.
- Step 4: Set up your new store, and you’re done!
In this article, we will walk you through the step-by-step guideline to perform your Magento upgrade successfully from version 2 to 2.4.0 with LitExtension automated data migration service.
What is the latest version of Magento?
The latest version of Magento 2 (Magento 2.4.0) is officially released at the end of July 2020. This has marked a noteworthy milestone for Magento to meet an expectation among its user communities.
Let’s read Magento 2.4.0 Open Source Release Notes and Magento 2.4.0 Commerce Release Notes to grasp all the new features and functionalities offered by the Magento newest version. In general, there are some highlight key points of them, which both include over 100 functional fixes and more than 30 security enhancements.
If you want to clearly distinguish the differences between Magento Open Source (free version) and Magento Commerce (paid version), you should take a look at our article here.
So, Why do merchants need a Magento upgrade?
With online merchants currently using Magento 2, Magento upgrade is highly recommended by the eCommerce technology experts. This is because of the numerous updates I’ve mentioned above. It not only significantly boosts your website performance with the latest technology but it also reinforces your store’s security.
Plus, Magento has included the resolution of 226 GitHub issues reported among the community members about the previous version. These range from minor code clean up to substantial improvements in GraphQL and inventory management, which makes Magento 2.4.0 become a more robust one.
So now you know it’s worth it to upgrade to Magento 2.4.0. Let’s get cracking!
Preparation before upgrading
Prior to attempting a Magento upgrade, make sure to back up all your data, particularly the files that you will be transferring. This is because the process is highly complicated, thus avoiding some potential problems such as incomplete or accidentally losing files during migration is a vital step.
However, with LitExtension migration service, it is not compulsory for you to back up all of databases before a Magento update. The reason is that we will not, in any way, modify anything on your source store, so you don’t have to worry about any distortions of your data. In case you still want to do this, keep reading and you will find out 4 easy steps to backup your own Magento 2 data store. Or else, skip to the first step to upgrade Magento store.
1. Backup your Magento 2 via Admin Panel
Step 1: Firstly, log in to your Admin Panel, select System > Tools > Backups.
Step 2: Next, choose the type of data backup that you want to backup among three options provided.
- System Backup: Creates a complete backup of the database and the file system.
- Database and Media Backup: Creates a backup of the database and the media folder.
- Database Backup: Creates a backup of the database only.
Step 3: After that, check the backup options table.
- Backup Name: Provide your backup with a name that only uses a-z/A-Z letters, 0–9 numbers, and spaces
- Maintenance mode: It will show a temporary error notification to all customers during the backup process, which informs that it is currently not inaccessible. After the backup is complete, this mode will be automatically turned off. If you disable the mode, customers can still use the website, but the page load speed can be significantly reduced.
- If you don’t want to include the Media file from taking backup, select the exclude Media Folder from Backup checkbox.
Step 4: Finally, wait for the backup process. You will receive a notification that the archive finishes. For the Magento 2.x versions, backups are stored in the var/backups directory and can be restored at any time using the Magento setup: Rollback command.
2. Set up a new Magento store version 2.4.0
Now, before performing Magento upgrade, you also have to install the latest 2.4.0 version first. The whole installation process involves:
- You must install Elasticsearch before installing both Magento Commerce or Magento Open Source 2.4.0. It is a difference compared with the previous versions’ upgrade.
- Download Magento Software Market. Access Download Resources and pick up the version 2.4.0 here.
- Set up FTP (File Transfer Protocol). You need to install and configure it to move your Magento 2 archive from your computer to your server.
- Transfer Magento Archive To Your Hosted System With FileZilla
- Running Setup Wizard
To understand more about Magento 2.4.0 installation procedure, let’s see our detailed instructions “Setting Up A Magento 2 Store — 2020 Complete Guideline”. Or simply, you can check our tutorial video right here to capture the whole process!
Data Migration with LitExtension
1. Create a LitExtension Account
2. Fill in information
After registering, click “Create New Migration” button at the top right on the screen.
Select Magento as your source cart and then fill in its URL in the corresponding field. After that, click LitExtension Connector to download to your computer. This connector plays as a bridge between your Magento database and the LitExtension App. Then, extract the zip file and upload it to Magento 2’s root folder.
Right after that, the Connector Installation will be automatically checked and informed on the screen without manual checking.
Repeat the same setting procedure for your target store from filling its URL into the blank bar to installing the connector. Once you have finished, click “Next” to move to the following phase.
3. Choose entities you want to migrate
At this stage, LitExtension allows you to transfer almost all types of data during your Magento upgrade. Thus, you can either tick all of them or only tick the necessary categories you want (products, customers, orders, etc.). This depends on your purpose.
Plus, LitExtension also provides various Additional Options to extend your data import functionality. In other words, these features help you solve serious problems normally occurring after a migration.
For example, selecting SEO URLs Migration option will help you maintain your pages’ position on search engines after switching your platform.
Additionally, Languages, Order Status and Customer Group will be matched to the corresponding displays in the new store. Let’s check this and move to the next phase!
4. Perform Migration to Magento version 2.4.0
Finally, you can try a demo first or run a full Magento upgrade to the latest version 2.4.0 immediately.
- To Try Demo: LitExtension encourages you to run demo migration first to literally imagine the results in your new store. This demo only performs with a limited number of entities, however, you will see the same procedure as the actual migration.
- To Perform Full Migration: You can tick “Skip the Demo migration” to jump right into Full Migration. The dashboard should look like this:
Once the transfer starts, it will run seamlessly on the server. This means that it is completely safe to turn your PC or browser off! Just take a break, have a cup of coffee, and we will send you the notification via email after the whole process finishes.
Check results after migration
When the migration is successful, you need to check results to make sure that everything is migrated correctly to Magento version 2.4.0.
Remember that you have to check your data in both backend and frontend after the Magento upgrade process. In order for the data to show on the frontend, you need to run the command line to resize images, reindex, and clear cache as follows:
php bin/magento cache:clean
php bin/magento cache:flush
php bin/magento indexer:reindex
Note: Out-of-stock products are disabled on Magento store by default. In simpler terms, they will not be shown on the frontend and not visible to your customers.
Thus, to display these products, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to System > Configuration > Catalog > Inventory > Stock options > Choose “Yes” in Display Out of Stock Products and click “Save config”
If you have no technical skills and don’t have enough time to run the migration process by yourself, All-In-One Migration Option is the best choice. It is a full service where our experts will take care of the whole job for you from target cart installation to testing results after migration.
Set up your new Magento store
Once finishing Magento upgrade process with LitExtension and checking the results, here are post-migration activities that you can follow:
- Setup theme for your new store
- Install necessary extensions
- Development (if any)
- Run recent data migration
- Run command line again to show new data on the front end
- Change DNS and switch domain
Please refer to this article for a detailed checklist that guides you on how to set up a Magento 2.4.0 store after migration.
In short, Magento is one of the top leading eCommerce platforms in the world that always updates to meet their users’ expectations. Therefore, this article is a complete guide on upgrading from Magento 2 to Magento latest version (2.4.0). Compared to other methods, using LitExtension — an automated migration tool is the best choice because of simplification, effectiveness, and saving time.
At the moment, LitExtension has successfully migrated over 140,000 stores and we have achieved 98% of customer satisfaction. We are step-by-step proving our position as the best shopping cart migration expert globally.
I hope you will find this article helpful to you in some way. Gook luck with your migration!